Tuesday 11 December 2012

ILLUSTRATIONS FROM PRIMARY IMAGERY

These are some sketches done from primary photos (photos that I have taken myself) of a classmate. I chose to have them looking troubled and deep in thought, as this matches my theme for the personal project. The medium used were fine liners of different thickness and size as well as markers. Although fine liner is a good medium for sharp and crisp lines, it does have limited properties (and you can't rub out a mistake like you can with pencils).
Studies of eyes from fine liner. Here I have made sure to use different marks, including cross-hatching, dynamic lines and circular lines. The fine liners used are of different thickness for different lines.

Another two sketches from primary imagery, but this time using graphite pencils. Graphite is a good medium to use, as it allows you to do things you can't do with fine liners, such as smudging to add definition, however this can be a disadvantage at the same time. In this study, I have used more detail, which can be seen in the hair. As you can see in the hair, there are light and dark to tones, where I have applied pressure on the pencil in the different areas to add definition to the hair. The lines made are continuous and sinuous, which I personally think conveys the hair realistically. The close-up study on the right has had the same pressure applied to it, except that the marks on the hair are straighter and more dynamic than the hair on the left hand study. The  pencil marks in the eyes are noticeably different too- pressure has been applied which becomes less towards the left sides of the pupils, using short and quick lines to achieve this.

I think that graphite would be a good material to add dramatic effects to the study, which I think would be good for my theme of loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment