Thursday 26 April 2012

THREE COLOUR PHOTO EXPERIMENT


This is an experiment of a drawing with three colours, inspired by Miles Donovan. I used on of my surface pattern ideas for this experiments, so what I did was duplicate the background layer, and then go into 'Image', 'Adjustments' and then 'Levels', in which I adjusted the levels of black and white to contrast. After this, I duplicated the previous duplicated layer, giving me three layers altogether so far. I hid the second copied layer by clicking off the 'Eye' icon I clicked back on to the first copied layer, then went to 'Image', 'Adjustments' and then 'Threshold', and adjusted the threshold level to about 210. Then I needed to delete the white parts by clicking on 'Select' and then 'Color Range'. Here, I adjusted the fuzziness to 200, made sure that the 'Image' was clicked on instead of 'Selection'. After clicking OK, the white parts of the image were selected, which I deleted, by pressing the delete button, and deselect by pressing 'Command D', and then clicked off the eye symbol of the first background layer, and clicked on the first background copy, then clicked on 'Image', 'Adjustments' and then 'Hue/Saturation'. I clicked on 'Colorize', and chose some appropriate colours. This completed my first background layer. Click back onto the second copied layer, and click back on the eye icon. Once again, I head back into 'Image', then 'Adjustments' and back into 'Threshold', and clicked on the lighter contrast. When finished adjusting that, I clicked on 'Select', then 'Color range', and then clicked on the white areas, again making sure that the 'Image' instead of the 'Selection' option. Then I pressed the 'Back space' button, and then deselected (Command D). Then I created a new layer, and placed it underneath the two background copies. I filled the layer with white (or any other colour), giving me my three colour photo.
I quite liked this experiment, as it allows you to adjust the contrast in black and white EXACTLY how you want it. It also gives the picture a  sense of realism to it. I may consider using it in my final piece, because I think it fits well with my subject's negative, suicidal attitude (but I would adjust the the contrasting a little more).
                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment