Saturday 6 October 2012

PACKAGING NET DEVELOPMENTS

For the past week, I have been developing my net for my final CD packaging. Some have gone well, some not so well, so here they are.


This was my first net created in Illustrator. I wanted to create a case where the shape was octagonal but it wasn't available and I didn't know how to create one, so I settled for a pentagon. The flaps on each side, were going to be folding in, so that they overlap one another and become this clasp to keep the CD secure. This was inspired from the Wow Spiral created by a packaging company called 'Wewow' who create these eco friendly packaging. Unfortunately, it didn't work out because my flaps were facing the wrong direction, and this would work better with a shape that has an even amount of sides.



This was my second packaging net. When assembled, it was going to become a standard CD case, which would have a gap in between the front and the back. In this gap,  there would be a small piece of card that would be the CD space, which the customer would gently pull out. When I tried this out, I didn't work very well, because the flaps were facing the wrong way, and were not big enough to be pasted down effectively. Also, I thought it was a basic idea, and a bit boring.
This is a re-try of the Wow spiral net. This time, I hand drew it instead of doing it on Illustrator, and it was to scale. I made sure to use a regular octagon, which was 130 mm and the flaps were 60 mm. When assembled, it closely resembled the original Wow spiral, except there was a rather large hole when the clasp was assembled, and it would expose too much of the CD. So in short, the flaps were too short.




No comments:

Post a Comment